11 Jan Mobile Marketing and Resorts: How to Rejuvenate Your Marketing for Today’s Travelers
63% of cell phone owners use their phones to go onlineCell phone devices have made it easier for a vacationer to multi-task, using multiple devices to accomplish multiple goals, from searching for a hotel they see in an online ad to tweeting a question about vacation destinations, all while looking at a particular resort’s website. This tells us that resorts, hotels, and other hospitality businesses can no longer solely rely on traditional means to get bookings. The online space has gained a great deal of power in the decision-making process of the average traveler.
Online Research and Mobile DevicesBeing online allows users to find all kinds of information. In the case of making travel plans, users are able to go online quickly via mobile devices and research travel options. By 2016:
- 72 million Americans will research travel on their smartphones
- 36 million will book their travel plans on a smartphone
Mobile Technology and the Booking CycleA resort’s mobile site has to provide all the features necessary to help users move further on the path to booking by being mobile-friendly and easy to use.
62% of U.S travelers think it is beneficial that properties allow them to book an accommodation via a mobile deviceYes, it’s good to have a mobile friendly site. But you have to make sure that all the features of your full site translate from the web to mobile. Providing features that take a user from the information gathering to booking on mobile should be the focus of the hospitality marketing manager. Users are busy and they don’t want to spend a lot of time on research and booking their travel.
36% say the reason for not booking travel on mobile is that the websites are hard to see, read, or navigate on a mobile deviceCompetitors are trying to hit the same target you are after. Don’t lose guests to something basic like a hard-to-navigate mobile site.
Apps and MobileSmarthphone apps can be helpful for users who are looking to travel.
44% of travelers have downloaded a travel related app
Recommendations for Getting Mobile
- Have a mobile-friendly website. This allows users to get the information they need quickly and easily
- Optimize your website with relevant keywords to rank higher in search.
- Use mobile-friendly ad extensions like maps and click-to-call buttons to make it easy for people to find and contact you.
- Have relevant and up-to-date content on your website to make it easier and faster for users to gather information
- Create a blog within your site to give tips, news, and trends on travel in general
- In your ads, have a call-to-action that tells the viewer what you want them to do. For example, “Book now,” “Call today,” etc.
- Take advantage of local SEO to target people in your area who are looking to stay locally
- People use review apps to learn more about resorts. Respond to negative reviews and fix issues when they occur, or those negative comments could turn away potential guests.